Bidding and Buying - Here's How
There are several ways to buy items
- 1 Join us live in the auction sale room on sale day. (*subject to current Covid-19 restrictions) You will be asked to register to bid (this involves filling in a form with your basic contact details and providing us with a form of ID such as a Driving Licence) We will then give you a ‘paddle’. We only accept a raised paddle as a bid.
NB Don’t worry you can’t accidentally bid by scratching your nose!
- 2 If you can’t be with us on sale day you can place an absentee or commission bid – this is where you fill in a commission bidding form with the maximum bid you want to place on an item and we bid up to that amount for you. We try and get it as cheaply for you as possible and bid up to your maximum.
- 3 If you want more control over your absentee bidding and are bidding on items with an estimate of £50 or more then we will book a telephone bid for you. We phone you and have you on the end of the phone line during the bidding and you place your bid with us as your go between to the auctioneer.
- 4 If none of the above are an option due to distance or other commitments then you can bid online. This is possible via our own site or via the-saleroom.com Both of these platforms allow you to follow the action online from the comfort of your home and bid using their software. Not quite as exciting as being in the saleroom but a very convenient way of buying at auction.
This video explains how to register to bid online on our website
Paying and Collecting
- On sale day if you’re bidding live in the room you can pay by debit or credit card and take your items straight away (we no longer accept cash or cheques)
- If you’re bidding online, or have placed telephone or commission bids, you will receive an invoice from us within approximately 24 hours of the sale. If you would like postage please request a quote – our postage charges. are published here. Invoices can then be paid by bank transfer, or by secure card link, for which we can send a link upon request. If you want to collect the items, please book an appointment.
- Collections are by appointment only – all visitors to the premises must wear a mask and bring their own pen in accordance with government guidelines during the Covid 19 pandemic.
- If you pay for postage, all items will be packed and shipped within 2/3 weeks of invoice payment
- The charges for buying at auction are detailed in full on our FAQs page
5 ***** Review
Unable to be at the auction in person, so placed online bids and was lucky enough to win a few lots. Excalibur made the entire process a totally enjoyable and super-smooth experience with their professional and helpful staff. I would not hesitate to use them again.
A fantastic auctioneers . Very professional and friendly staff. I have used many different auctioneers over
the last 15 years, to buy movie memorabilia, but can honestly say they are the best I have dealt with.